What do we cover?
What is Coriander Powder?
Coriander Powder also called Dhaniya Powder is made from ground up roasted Coriander Seeds, which are the dried seeds of the coriandrum sativum plant. The coriandrum sativum plant is native to Southern Europe and the Mediterranean region. The coriandrum sativum plant produces both a spice and an herb. The seeds of the plant are the spice and the leaves of the plant are an herb called cilantro. Even though they come from the same plant, Coriander seeds and cilantro have two completely different flavor profiles and are used differently in cooking.
What are the ingredients in Coriander Powder?
Coriander powder is made from grounded 100% pure roasted coriander seeds.
Where does Coriander Powder come from?
Coriander is currently grown in Brazil, Holland, India, Russia, North America and South America. ALCO Coriander Powder is entirely sourced from India. The coriandrum sativum plant is native to Iran, but India is actually the world’s largest producer of coriander. Most of the coriander in India is grown in the northern and central parts of the country. The state of Rajasthan produces the most coriander in India making up for 58% of the country's coriander production.
How is Coriander Powder processed?Harvesting
- The timing is very important when harvesting coriander plants. The best time to harvest the coriander plants is when two thirds of the seeds are ripe. If the coriander seeds are harvested before they are ripe, they will lack flavor and aroma. If the coriander seeds are over-ripe, they begin to break.
- After the coriander plants have been harvested, the plants are left outside to dry in the sun for one to two days until the plant’s moisture content reaches 18%. The plants are then threshed to extract the coriander seeds from the plant.
- The Coriander Seeds must be cleaned using a machine, which removes dirt and other impurities.
- The coriander seeds are then left out to dry in the shade until they reach a moisture content of 9%. After they have dried, the coriander seeds are roasted to enhance the flavor and aroma of the Coriander.
- Using a machine, the coriander seeds are then crushed down into coriander powder and sieves are used to separate the whole seeds, splits and anything else from the coriander powder.
- After the Coriander Powder has been grinded down, it is then packaged and ready to be sold.
What does Coriander Powder taste like?
Coriander Powder tastes a little less pungent than the Coriander Seeds. Coriander Powder has a sweet aromatic flavor with a hint of citrus.
What dietary and health benefits does Coriander Powder provide?
Dietary Benefits of Coriander Powder:
- Gluten Free
- Paleo Friendly
- KETO Friendly
Coriander has a variety of potential health benefits which include:Lowering Blood Pressure
- Coriander is said to lower blood vessel tension by promoting the interaction of calcium ions and acetylcholine. Therefore, Coriander could lower your risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- Coriander oil has actually been patented for its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Coriander could help with a variety of skin conditions ranging from dryness, fungal infections and eczema.
- Coriander contains borneol and linalool, which help our liver and bowels function properly. Coriander also contains a variety of compounds that have antibacterial properties, which can help us treat diarrhea and food borne illness such as salmonella.
- Coriander can help reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol levels because it contains a variety of compounds that are good for your cholesterol health.
- Coriander is an excellent source of calcium, which is a very important mineral in bone growth and durability.
How to use Coriander Powder?
Coriander Powder is very popular within all Indian households and is one of the main ingredients in just about any Indian dish. There are very few dishes in Indian cuisine that don’t have a splash of coriander powder in it. Coriander is also used in Spanish, Mexican and Latin cuisine. It is very important to keep the Coriander Powder in an air tight sealed opaque container to maintain its full flavor and aroma. Coriander pairs well with chili powder, cinnamon, curry and cumin. A dash of coriander powder is frequently added to many curries, but it can also be used in marinades, soups, dry rubs and barbequing.
What makes ALCO spices unique?PREMIUM QUALITY AND TASTE
- We are very diligent in our efforts to procure the highest quality spices in the world. The aroma and bold flavors of our spices will make you fall in love with experimenting and trying new flavors in the kitchen.
- We do not add any artificial flavors, so all of the spices are 100% natural and ethically sourced directly from the Earth. We believe you should never have to use artificial flavors when the Earth provides so many great tasting natural flavors for us. There are also no added preservatives. We are committed to serving you food products that you can feel safe consuming. We believe that you should always know what you are eating, which is why we do not use any strange chemicals created in a lab to help extend the shelf life of our products.
- We are committed to strengthening our community, which is why all of our spices are ethically sourced and purchased from farmers in India.