What do we cover?
What is Turmeric Powder?
Turmeric Powder is made from the ground up root of the turmeric plant. The turmeric plant is closely related to the ginger plant and is native to India and Southeast Asia. Turmeric Powder is commonly used in Indian cooking because of its ability to give a beautiful golden hue to curries and other dishes. It is best to add Turmeric Powder at the beginning of the cooking process to get the full effect of its flavor. Turmeric is not only a very popular spice in Indian cuisine, but it is also commonly used for its medicinal benefits as well. Turmeric was traditionally used by the Chinese as an anti-inflammatory.
What are the ingredients in Turmeric Powder?
ALCO Turmeric Powder is made from 100% grounded turmeric roots sourced from India.
Where does Turmeric Powder come from?
ALCO Foods ethically sources all of their raw turmeric from local farmers in India. India produces 80% of the world’s Turmeric, making them the world’s largest producer and exporter of Turmeric. India is highly regarded as having the best turmeric because it has a higher concentration of curcumin than anywhere else in the world. Nine of India’s twenty-eight states grow turmeric. Those nine states are Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Kerala, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Orissa, Sikkim, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal. Turmeric thrives in warm and humid climates with well draining balanced soil. Each year during the months of February and March, the turmeric is harvested.
How is Turmeric Powder processed?
After the turmeric has been harvested, the fingers are separated from the mother and they must be washed to remove the remaining soil. The washed turmeric is then cured or boiled, which helps reduce the drying time and gives the turmeric a more uniform color. After the turmeric is cured, it must be dried. For drying, the turmeric is laid out on bamboo mats or a concrete drying floor in the sun until it becomes completely dry. The drying process can take up to two weeks. Once the turmeric is completely dried, it is then polished. Polishing removes the rough surface and any remaining soil. The polishing is either done manually or by machine. The turmeric is then grinded into Turmeric powder. Coarse turmeric powder has a 98% pass through rate through a 500-µm sieve and fine turmeric powder has a 98% pass through rate through a 300-µm sieve. After the turmeric powder has been grinded down, it is then sterilized and packaged.
What does Turmeric Powder taste like?
Turmeric Powder has a pungent bitter, earthy and woody flavor.
What dietary and health benefits does Turmeric Powder provide?
Dietary Benefits of Turmeric Powder:
- Gluten Free
- Paleo Friendly
- KETO Friendly
Turmeric has recently become a very popular supplement for its medicinal benefits. Turmeric contains a very powerful antioxidant called curcumin, which gives the turmeric its bright yellow color. Curcumin is not easily absorbed into your blood, but if you consume the curcumin with black pepper it will greatly increase the absorption into your bloodstream and help you reap its benefits. Turmeric has a wide range of potential health benefits which include:Reducing Inflammation
- Short term inflammation is needed to help our bodies heal themselves, but long term or chronic inflammation can lead to an increased risk of developing diseases. Curcumin does an excellent job of blocking inflammatory molecules, which lowers our risk of developing diseases such as cancer. Turmeric is also commonly used to help relieve pain caused by arthritis.
- Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant that protects our cells against free radicals. Free radicals are chemically active molecules that enter our body when we are exposed to tobacco or certain processed foods. Free radicals and high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides are large contributors to cardiovascular disease.
- There have been studies that show turmeric can help reduce the spread of cancer by killing a large variety of different cancer cells. Turmeric has also been shown to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy.
- Curcumin has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and protect us from Alzheimer’s, depression and mood disorders. Turmeric helps reduce the inflammation and protein plaque build up in the brain.
How to use Turmeric Powder?
Turmeric is most commonly used in Indian cuisine for its ability to give that beautiful golden hue to curries and other dishes. It is best to add Turmeric Powder at the beginning of the cooking process to get the full effect of its flavor. The flavor of the turmeric becomes stronger the longer you let it cook. It pairs very well with chicken, duck, turkey, vegetables and rice. Turmeric is also used in soups, teas and smoothies. Turmeric is commonly used with ginger, cumin, coriander and cinnamon.
What makes ALCO spices unique?PREMIUM QUALITY AND TASTE
- We are very diligent in our efforts to procure the highest quality spices in the world. The aroma and bold flavors of our spices will make you fall in love with experimenting and trying new flavors in the kitchen.
- We do not add any artificial flavors, so all of the spices are 100% natural and ethically sourced directly from the Earth. We believe you should never have to use artificial flavors when the Earth provides so many great tasting natural flavors for us. There are also no added preservatives. We are committed to serving you food products that you can feel safe consuming. We believe that you should always know what you are eating, which is why we do not use any strange chemicals created in a lab to help extend the shelf life of our products.
- We are committed to strengthening our community, which is why all of our spices are ethically sourced and purchased from farmers in India.