The Story of Indo-Chinese Cauliflower Manchurian
The Story of Indo-Chinese Cauliflower Manchurian.
In India, cauliflower gets immense love for its nutty taste and health benefits. Various recipes are made using cauliflower. One of the most popular recipes out of those is cauliflower Manchurian. It is served as a popular dish in most Indian restaurants and also served as a snack or starter at parties and events. The most interesting fact about this recipe is it is a fusion of Indian and Chinese cuisine.
Chinese and Indians share a relationship that dates back to 206 BCE. Today there is indeed a tense situation on the border of these two neighboring countries, but a bowl of this Indo-Chinese fusion “Gobi Manchurian” is very popular in the whole country which shows a sign of deep relation between two ancient cultures and cuisine.
Origin of Gobi (Cauliflower) Manchurian:
Although its roots lie in China, don’t think that Gobi Manchurian is a purely Chinese recipe. It's creative use today was developed in India. According to the records, this popular recipe was made for the first time in the year 1975 in Mumbai by Nelson Wang who is the son of a Chinese immigrant. He was born in Kolkata and later became a chef at the cricket club of India in Mumbai.
He says that one day an Indian customer came to him and asked him to prepare a new dish which must be different from what is available on the menu. He got an idea. He took ingredients like chopped ginger-garlic chili and sauteed them all together in soy sauce. Instead of adding Indian spices in the saucy gravy, he made chicken balls from cornstarch and egg mixture, deep-fried it, and added them into the gravy, which gave birth to a new recipe called chicken Manchurian.
Cauliflower Manchurian is the veg version of this Indo-Chinese fusion. Yet there are other veg versions of Manchurian also available like mushroom, baby corn, and veggie ball Manchurian.
Recipe of Delicious Gobi Manchurian:
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 25 min
For Cauliflower Balls:
- ½ cup corn.flour
- 4-5 tbsp. refined flour
- 1 bowl cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
For the Sauce:
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 3-4 chopped green chilies
- 2 medium-size chopped onions.
- 2 medium green pepper chopped
- 2-3 spring onions chopped.
- 2 tbsp. soya sauce
- 2 tbsp. tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp. vinegar.
- 1 tbsp. Alco white pepper
- 1 tbsp. soy oil
- Salt as per taste
- Start preparing the recipe by boiling cauliflower florets in salted water for not more than 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and keep the florets on a dry plate.
- Take a deep large bowl. Add refined flour, corn flour, ginger-garlic paste, salt, and water. Make a smooth and thick batter by mixing all the ingredients.
- Coat the floret with the batter.
- Take a frying pan and heat oil on medium flame.
- Once the oil becomes hot drop the florets carefully one by one in the oil and fries it until it becomes golden brown and crispy.
- Place the florets on tissue paper to absorb excess oil.
- Transfer the oil to a deep pan and again heat the oil.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and sauté it well till it leaves the raw smell.
- Add onions, green peppers and spring onions, green chilies into the pan. Add a little salt. Mix the veggies well. And cook it on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add soya sauce, tomato ketchup, and vinegar to it. Stir it continuously for 2-3 minutes
- Add the fried florets into the pan.
- Toss and mix the florets with other ingredients.
- If you want to make a gravy then add water at this stage and cook it further for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Or you can enjoy the dry Manchurian with tomato ketchup.
The Manchurian Gravy can be served hot with fried rice or Hakka Noodles.
Tips for cooking Cauliflower Manchurian:
- Make sure all the veggies are fresh and the chopping must be done beforehand.
- Do not keep the fried florets open in the air for a long time otherwise, they will absorb the moisture present in the air and not remain crunchy.
- Use good quality sauce and other ingredients. To make it flavorful and yummier.
- Soak the cauliflower florets in salted water to remove worms inside them and make them clean.
- If you are on a gluten-free diet, then you can replace the refined flour with arrowroot flour.
Visit Alcoeats online store to buy the best quality ingredients. Making your recipe tasty and healthy is a very important step of cooking. Choosing quality ingredients and spices can help you fulfill the goal of healthy cooking. Alcoeats is the hub of pure and preservative-free spices. It offers you a wide range of inexpensive, diet-based spices and vegan products. All products are made using, the best ingredients, which will make your food super yummy and provides you a healthy meal.
Check out Alcoeats products now.