HOMEMADE CASHEW BUTTER
Make the most delightful homemade cashew butter with these simple ingredients. It's creamy and delicious, and it's ready in 20 minutes.
How to make Cashew Butter
- Prep Time - 10 mins
- Cook Time - 10 mins
- Total Time - 20 mins
- 3 cups (16 ounces) - Raw unsalted cashews
- 1 tbsp - Oil like avocado oil or grape seed oil, or use coconut oil for a slight coconut flavor
- ¼ tsp - Acceptable sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ to ½ tsp - Ground cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ to ½ tsp - Vanilla extract (optional)
- Honey or maple syrup optional
Toast the nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Fill a round or square cake pan halfway with cashews (or a rimmed baking sheet).
- Roast the nuts for 3 minutes, shake the pan and continue to roast for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until the nuts are lightly toasted and smell nutty (careful, as they can burn quickly). Allow them to cool until you can handle them.
Making Cashew Butter
- To make crunchy cashew butter, place 1/3 cup of roasted cashews in the bowl of a food processor—pulse 3 to 4 times or until the nuts are extremely finely minced. Place the chopped nuts in a bowl and set aside for later.
- In a food processor, combine the roasted cashews. After 1 minute, scrape the sides of the bowl using a rubber spatula.
- Add the oil of your choice. Process for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the cashew butter is glossy and smooth. Depending on the brand/variety of nuts you're using; it may take longer. The cashews will go from whole nuts to fine powder, a clumpy mess, and a creamy smooth consistency as you process them. Stopping and scraping or breaking up any large clumps will help to speed up the process.
- Add the salt, cinnamon, and vanilla when the cashew butter is smooth and creamy. Taste after 10 to 20 seconds of processing. Add more salt, cinnamon, or vanilla extract if desired. To sweeten, add a teaspoon or more of honey or maple syrup and blend for 5 to 10 seconds or until well combined.
- Stir in the saved chopped cashews to make crispy cashew butter.
Store in a tightly sealed container, such as a mason jar, for a few weeks. It will keep longer if kept in the refrigerator.
How to Use Cashew Butter?
Get creative with your cashew butter and enjoy it with everything! Get creative in your way with your cashew butter.
- Spread on bread, such as regular toast, bagels, simit, or even cake, such as banana bread.
- As previously said, it makes an excellent peanut butter substitute in a PB&J alongside homemade raspberry, strawberry, or blackberry jam!
- In hummus recipes, substitute tahini with cashew butter.
- Pour over muesli or muesli oats.
- Blend or add to smoothies and smoothie bowls.
- Make vegan ice cream using this.
- Make Yummy fat balls/energy balls.
- Add to dipping, dressing, and drizzling sauces.
- Granola bars and protein bars.
- Make these handmade Vegan peanut butter cups for a unique twist.
- To create delectable vegan fudge.
How To Store Cashew Butter?
Store Homemade Cashew Butter in the refrigerator for 6-8 weeks, using clean utensils each time in a mason jar or any other airtight jar. It could last for up to four months.
Note - It is usual for cashew butter to separate when cooled (solids and the bottom with oils on top). Before using it, give it a good stir.
Make your own Vegan Cashew Butter at home with this recipe. Of course, buying a jar of cashew nut butter from the supermarket is very convenient, but the benefits of making your own are that you can save money and get a fresh and delicious batch of nut butter. It indeed tastes far superior to store-bought alternatives.
FAQs on Cashew Butter Recipe
How long can homemade cashew butter be stored?
Keep the homemade nut butter (including this cashew butter) in airtight jars for 3 to 4 weeks. When kept in the refrigerator, it will last longer.
How much cashew butter does this recipe yield?
This recipe calls for a 12-cup food processor, which we have on hand. Three cups of nuts yield around 16 ounces of nut butter, the average size of store-bought nut butter jars.
Is it possible to make it in a blender?
Yes, but you'll need a powerful blender for this (which most are).
How do you make cashew butter without a food processor?
Grind the cashew nuts in a coffee or spice grinder to make small amounts of homemade cashew butter. Grind until creamy in 20-second intervals. It might be smoother than a food processor butter.
What is the cashew-to-cashew butter ratio?
When you process cashews into creamy homemade cashew butter, you'll obtain around half the yield (i.e., 2 cups raw cashews = 1 cup cashew butter).
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.