How Healthy is a Plate of Mac and Cheese?
Macaroni and cheese is a very simple recipe that you can cook at home to feed your family. If you have young kids at home, they will surely love its creamy taste. It is a high-calorie food which is cooked as a staple food in countries like America, Italy and U.K. If you already know that it is high in fat and calorie, but still you have a craving for, this rich and creamy food then don’t worry. You’re not alone in this matter. It is a favorite food of many people. Through this article, we will suggest to you the ways reduce. The calorie and fat, and how to eat a healthy version of this recipe. According to a health report, a home-made Mac and cheese bowl contains:
- Calorie: 506
- Fat: 24 grams
- Protein: 20 grams
- Carbs: 53 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Sodium: 837 mg
As per the nutritionist, you can intake:
- Calorie: 2000-2500 per day
- Fat: 44-77 gm per day
- Protein: 46-56 gm per day
- Carbs: 225-325 gm per day
- Fiber: 25-38 gm per day
- Sodium: less than 2,300 mg per day
This means eating a bowl of Mac and cheese is safe if you consume a small portion of it. Mac and cheese contain a high amount of fat that can increase your cholesterol level. Eating more amount of calorie-containing food can lead to weight gain. If you consume larger portions of this food then it can increase your sodium intake. As a result, you will suffer from high blood pressure. Thus eating a moderate amount of Mac and cheese can be a part of your healthy diet.
Simple Ways to Cook Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe:
We have got solutions for your Mac and cheese cravings. These simple ways can provide you a healthy food without compromising the flavors.
- The easiest way to reduce high calories and fat is to replace the cream with skim milk and replace butter with olive oil or peanut butter.
- Add parmesan instead of cheddar or mozzarella cheese. Parmesan has fewer calories which makes your food healthy.
- You can cut the amount of excess cheese, butter, or cream by adding herbs and spices such as white pepper or smoky cumin which will add more flavor to your recipe.
- Add veggies like carrots, cauliflower, or broccoli to your mac and cheese which will make it a fibrous and healthy dish.
- Instead of using plain macaroni made from all-purpose flour, use a whole-wheat macaroni to get high protein and fiber.
- You can also add diced chicken breast which will make the recipe more healthy and delicious.
- Remember to reduce its consumption on daily basis and limit the serving to not more than 250 grams per day.
Recipe of low-calorie Mac and Cheese:
Cook this healthy recipe for traditional Mac and cheese without losing its creamy and tasty flavor.
Cook Time : 25 min
Servings : 6
Calorie: 200, Fat: 11 gm, Protein: 19 gm, Carbs: 34 gm, Fiber: 4 gm, Sodium: 391 mg.
- 1½ cups uncooked whole wheat macaroni
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1½ cup diced chicken
- 1 cup parse man grated
- White Pepper crushed (1 tsp)
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Cook the macaroni in a bowl of water on medium flame. Cook until it becomes tender and soft.
- Now drain the excess water and keep the macaroni aside.
- Preheat the oven up to 350 degrees Celsius.
- Make the béchamel sauce by melting butter in a pan.
- Sauté the onions until it become tender.
- Add the arrowroot powder into it and keep stirring for 2 minutes.
- When the mixture turns thick and golden brown, add almond milk slowly and keep stirring until the sauce turns smooth.
- Add grated cheese, pepper, and salt to the mixture and cook on low flame for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heal olive oil in a pan. Now add the chopped cauliflower, broccoli, and carrot and cook it on low flame until the veggies turn soft.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add the béchamel sauce, cooked macaroni, and veggies. Mix all well
- Place it in a casserole dish greased with olive oil.
- Bake it for 15-20 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve it hot to your loved ones.
Alcoeats provides you best quality and excellent variety of Indian spices. The company is one of the best and leading companies in spice production. Alcoeats offers you products that are pure and do not contain any artificial flavor. We value our customers' health and taste. Those who tried Alcoeats spices once became our permanent customers. Try our Chicken and Meat Masala to make your non-veg preparation more delicious and succulent.