Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Note: All ingredients in blue is available at alcoeats.com
|Thin Egg Noodles||2 packages|
|Black Pepper||2 tbsp|
|Kosher Salt||1 tbsp|
- First, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the noodles and drain well, toss with 1 tbsp vegetable oil to prevent sticking, return to the pot, and reserve.
- Then in a medium pan combine the 2/3 cup oil with the sugar then cook over medium-low heat, making sure to watch for any signs of burning.
Now dump the caramel into the noodles and stir, noticing how parts of the caramel harden immediately.
- Now do not freak out, turn simply the flame onto medium-low and warm the noodles, stirring, until the caramel dissolves, about 10-12 minutes.
Then remove it from heat and cool it to room temperature. Then preheat the oven to 375°F. and stir in the eggs, salt, and pepper. Now in a 5 or 6-quart stockpot, heat the remaining 4 tbsp oil until very hot but not smoking.
- Then add the egg-noodle mixture, do not stir, and let it cook on the stovetop, noting how the edges begin to darken, for 7-8 minutes.
Then transfer to the oven and bake until the top is slightly hardened, for about 1 hour.
- Now cool for 30 minutes, invert onto a serving platter, and either serve immediately or allow to cool completely. If you wait, the outer shell of the kugel will be chewy-crunchy.
FOR MORE RECIPES: