Indian Kerala Fish Fry
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Note: All ingredients in blue is available at alcoeats.com
|ALCO Kashmiri Chili Powder||1 tsp|
|ALCO Coriander Powder||1 tbsp.|
|ALCO Turmeric powder||1/2 tbsp.|
|Curry leaves||2 sprigs|
|Fish (two pomfrets)||500 grams|
|ALCO Black Pepper Powder||1 tsp|
|Coconut oil||1 cup|
|Lime wedge||1 piece|
|Curry leaves||2-3 sprigs|
- Blitz the shallots, garlic, ginger, and curry leaves with some water in a blender.
- Add the ALCO Kashmiri Chili Powder, ALCO Coriander Powder, ALCO Turmeric Powder, and salt, and grind again to get a fine paste.
- Score the fish making deep gashes 1/2 inch apart. Rub in the marinade to fully coat the fish.
- Heat some oil in a pan. We don't want to deep fry the fish, but we need enough oil to cover the base!
- When the oil reaches the smoking point, lower the flame to medium, and place two sprigs on curry leaves in the pan.
- Now gently place the marinated fish in the pan. Fry on a high flame for a couple of minutes. Lower the flame and continue cooking closed with a lid.
- Open the lid after 10 minutes, sprinkle some black pepper powder, and let it fry for some more time.
- Our goal is to get the skin to a crispy consistency. Turn around the fish and fry the other side as well. Sprinkle a dash of pepper powder on this side as well.
- Fry on a high flame again for a minute before taking out the fish using a slotted spoon. If you like you fish fry crispier, keep frying for a few more minutes. Drain all the excess oil using a kitchen towel.
- Serve hot with a wedge of lime.