Here is introducing MLK Day's special dish, Baked Sweet Potato with Spinach Chana Masala recipe. Dr. King's favorite food was pecan pie. He also enjoyed other southern staples like Sweet Potatoes, fried chicken, and collard greens.
So let's make Martin Luther King, Jr.’s favorite Baked Sweet Potato with Spinach Chana Masala at home.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Note: All ingredients in blue is available at alcoeats.com
|ALCO Garam Masala||1 tsp|
|ALCO Cumin Powder||1 tsp|
|ALCO Coriander Powder||2 tsp|
|ALCO Red Hot Chili Powder||As needed|
|ALCO Turmeric Powder||1 tsp|
|Sweet Potatoes||4 medium|
|Onion (finely chopped)||1|
|Garlic cloves (crushed)||5|
|Vegetable stock||1 3/4 cup|
|Grated creamed coconut||3.5 oz.|
|Coriander||small bunch fresh|
|Olive oil||As needed|
|Salt & pepper||As needed|
- First, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Now wash the sweet potatoes, and place them on a baking tray. Then pierce all over with a fork. Then drizzle some olive on top. Then cook for 30-50 mins until soft. There the cooking size will depend on the size of the sweet potatoes.
- Then in the meantime, and heat some olive oil in a large saucepan. Then add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic, followed by garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and grated ginger. Then cook under moderate until the onion is soft.
- Now add a can of tomatoes and quartered fresh tomatoes, vegetable stock, grated creamed coconut, and spinach. Then cook under medium heat, until spinach, has wilted.
- Now, cook for another 10 mins to reduce some of the sauce. Then add drained chickpeas, and cook for another 5 mins.
- Then season with lemon juice, salt & pepper. Then once cooked, split sweet potatoes in half.
- Then serve topped with spinach chana masala and a generous handful of coriander leaves.
FOR MORE RECIPES:
A quick and tasty Indian chicken tikka recipe is perfectly spicy and ready in 30 minutes! You won't believe how easy it is to make this at home! so let's make it!
To cook Collard Greens There are many delicious ways, but this is the best-known way to do it in MLK day Special. So try this Slow-Cooker Collard Greens Recipe.