Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour.
Note: All ingredients in blue are available at alcoeats.com
|Olive Oil||3 tbsp|
|Onion||1 finely chopped|
|Garlic Cloves||3 crushed|
|Dried Oregano||2 tsp|
|Beef Stock Cube||1|
|Black Pepper||freshly ground|
|Parmesan||50g for serving|
METHOD:For the Ragu Sauce:
- First, put the oil and pancetta in a pan. Then cook until the pancetta is crispy and golden. Then add the onion, garlic and turn the heat down, and cook for about 8-10 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Now tip in the beef and pork minces and cook, and break down the mince with the back of a wooden spoon then add the milk and chopped tomatoes. Stir in the oregano, rosemary, bay leaves, thyme, beef stock cube, and wine, and bring to a simmer.
- Then cover with a lid and cook for 1 hour. Then stir occasionally to stop the bottom catching, then remove the lid and gently simmer for another 30 mins-1 hour, until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened. Taste and season then set aside.
- First, melt the butter in a pan, and once melted add the flour and mix into the butter. Then cook the flour and butter mix for 2-5 minutes to cook out the raw flavor of the flour. Then stir in the milk, a little at a time – adding milk gradually to avoid lumps.
- Now when all the milk is in, then bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until thickened, now stir in the cheeses and a good grating of nutmeg. Then remove from the heat.
- Now preheat the oven to a 200 C / 180 C fan.
- lay a large piece of baking paper on top of a large baking sheet. Lay the lasagne sheets on top of the baking sheet so that they are touching.
- Then top with ½ of the cheddar and ½ of the mozzarella. Then place this under the grill for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Then once the cheese has melted, spread the sheet of lasagne with the meat sauce and drizzle over a little of the bechamel sauce then finish the grated parmesan.
- Then roll the whole thing up like a swiss roll and place it into a dish large enough to fit it.
- Then pour over the remaining bechamel sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar and mozzarella. Then place into the oven for 30 minutes then remove and serve sprinkled with the remaining parmesan.
FOR MORE RECIPES: