HOW TO MAKE COFFEE CAKEA melt-in-mouth recipe for a delicious coffee cake to pair with your cup of joe. A perfect snack cake to have and to serve.
- Prep Time - 25 Mins
- Cook Time - 55 Mins
- Total Time - 80 Mins
- Servings - 12-15 Servings
- Equipment - 9x9-Inch Baking Dish
Ingredients for Coffee Cake
For the Cinnamon Filling
- 3/4 cup - Light brown sugar 150g
- 1/4 cup - All-purpose flour 30g
- 2 tsp - Ground cinnamon
For the Streusel
- ⅔ cup - Light brown sugar 133g, lightly packed
- 1 cup - All-purpose flour 120g
- 2 tsp - Ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp - Salt
- ½ cup - Unsalted butter 113g, diced
For the Cake
- 2 ¼ cups - All-purpose flour 270g
- ¼ cup - Cornstarch 30g
- 2 ½ tsp - Baking powder
- 3/4 tsp - Salt
- ¾ cup - Unsalted butter 170, at room temperature
- ½ - Cup brown sugar 100g
- 1 cup - Granulated sugar 200g
- 3 - Eggs at room temperature, Large
- 2 tsp - Vanilla extract 10mL
- 1 cup - Sour cream 240mL, room temperature
Instructions to Bake a Coffee Cake
Directions for Making the Cinnamon Filling
- Whisk the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon together in a small bowl and set it aside.
To make the Streusel Topping
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and flour. Whisk everything together, then add the diced butter. Use room-temperature butter for this.
- Press and crumble the butter into the dry ingredients with your clean fingers. Try squeezing a large handful together and breaking apart into huge bits for greater crumbles. Set aside once you've made a crumbly mixture.
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Set aside a 9x9 inch pan lined with parchment paper or greased with butter.
- Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar with an electric hand mixer. Mix on high until light and fluffy, then add the brown sugar. Pour in the vanilla extract, then add the eggs one at a time, mixing on low speed. Scrape the bottom of the bowl, then add the sour cream and stir until blended smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined, then scrape the bowl down and add any stray ingredients.
- Smooth half of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Top with the cinnamon filling. Spread the remaining batter over the cinnamon filling, working your way from the center outward. Bake at 350°F for about 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow it to cool for 20 minutes in the pan before cutting. Voila, Your coffee cake is ready.
Recipe Tips for Coffee Cake
- Avoid overmixing the batter. It should be thick and smooth, but some small lumps are acceptable. The batter has a thicker consistency than the conventional cake batter.
- Grease a silicone or metal offset spatula to distribute the top layer of batter without pulling it from the cinnamon sugar center.
- Don't use margarine or anything else in the crumb topping in place of the butter. The best results will come from using butter.
- If the streusel topping is browning too soon, cover the pan loosely with foil and bake the cake in the lower part of the oven for the remaining time.
- For a gluten-free coffee cake recipe you can switch eggs with any egg substitute and butter with any vegan butter such as cashew butter.
A slice of Coffee Cake with a steaming cup of coffee is one of life's pleasures. It is your classic 'crumb' Coffee Cake recipe. It has a rich buttery flavor with a soft and moist texture. But what makes this Cinnamon Coffee Cake so delicious is a perfect pair for your coffee cake Alcoeats Cozy Bear Range of Coffee. A pure blend of 100% Arabica Beans that results in an enticing aroma and delicious coffee to pair perfectly with a warm coffee cake on a winter morning. Try now.
Faqs On Coffee Cake Recipe
Why is it called a Coffee Cake?
This cinnamon coffee cake gets its name because it is traditionally served with coffee. Some people assume it contains coffee; however, this is rarely the case.
What does it taste like?
Cinnamon coffee cakes will have a rich, supple crumb with vanilla, cinnamon, and brown sugar flavors. They can be flavored with cocoa powder and maple syrup or include toppings such as pecans, walnuts, or a glaze.
How do you keep the coffee cake moist?
Using sour cream and brown sugar adds much moisture to this cake. If you don't have sour cream, use Greek yogurt instead.
How can the coffee cake be frozen?
Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap before placing it in a freezer bag or wrapping it in foil. Thaw on the counter; warm it in the oven or microwave it for 10-20 seconds. You can keep the frozen cake for up to three months.
Which coffee pairs best with coffee cake?
Well, it depends on the drinker's choice; but the Love me some espresso and Snickerdoodle are some of the most aromatic and delicious pure coffee by Alco that can pair perfectly with cinnamon coffee cake.
Get 30% OFF - SUBSCRIBE TODAY
Subscribe to our Recipe Newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.