What do we cover?
What are All Purpose Indian Masalas?
India’s all purpose masalas are versatile spice blends used throughout all of India to add flavor to a variety of different Indian dishes. India’s all purpose masalas are made from a blend of spices that is meant to encompass the true flavor of India. Some of the most popular all purpose masalas in Indian cuisine are:Garam Masala
- Arguably the most well known of the Indian masalas. Garam Masala translates to “a hot mixture of spices”. Garam Masala is one of the most well known and used spice blends from India. It is a versatile warming spice blend that can be used for curries, lentils, soups and more. Garam Masala is said to have originated from Northern India.
- Kitchen King Masala is known as the king of all masalas. It’s ingredients vary from brand to brand, but it is a blend of all of India’s most beloved spices. It is a versatile and complex spice blend that enhances the flavor and aroma of any dish. Kitchen King Masala is used in many North Indian dishes.
- Delhi Kadhai Masala is a coarse spice mix made from whole spices that is used to season vegetables or meats. Kadhai dishes are traditionally cooked in a wok-like pot.
- Curry Masala was actually created by the British, who were trying to replicate the taste of Indian food. It has become very popular in cooking outside of India for those trying to replicate Indian flavors.
- Hot Madras Curry is a versatile Indian spice blend used to add some extra heat to vegetables, meats, lentils and more.
- Magic Masala was created by ALCO Foods as a versatile spice blend that can pair well with any type of dish.
What are the ingredients in ALCO Masalas?Garam Masala
- CORIANDER, CUMIN, CLOVE, SALT, CHILI, BLACK PEPPER, BLACK CARDAMOM, GREEN CARDAMOM, BAY LEAF, CINNAMON, STAR ANISE, NUTMEG, LONG PEPPER
- CORIANDER, CUMIN, BLACK PEPPER, TURMERIC, RED CHILI, DEHYDRATED GARLIC, SALT, MUSTARD, GREEN CARDAMOM, FENUGREEK LEAF, DEHYDRATED ONION, NUTMEG, DRIED GINGER, BAY LEAF, FENUGREEK SEED, MACE, BLACK SALT, BLACK CARDAMOM
- CORIANDER, RED CHILI, CUMIN, SALT, TURMERIC, BLACK PEPPER, FENNEL, DRIED MANGO, CINNAMON BARK, CLOVE, BLACK CARDAMOM, BAY LEAF, GREEN CARDAMOM
- TAMARIND, CORIANDER, CUMIN, DEHYDRATED GARLIC, RED CHILI, DEHYDRATED ONION, IODIZED COMMON SALT, TURMERIC, MIXED MASALA, DRIED GINGER, CURRY LEAF, MUSTARD
- CORIANDER, CUMIN, MUSTARD, BLACK PEPPER, FENUGREEK SEED, CLOVE, CURRY LEAF, CINNAMON, GREEN CARDAMOM, CASSIA LEAF, RED CHILI, DEHYDRATED ONION, DEHYDRATED GARLIC, DRIED GINGER, IODIZED COMMON SALT, TURMERIC, ASAFOETIDA
- SALT, SUGAR, DEHYDRATED GARLIC, DEHYDRATED ONION, DRIED MANGO, BLACK PEPPER, TURMERIC, MIXED SPICE, CORN STARCH, CUMIN, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE (E365), CHILI, CORIANDER, FENUGREEK SEED, SKIM MILK POWDER (MILK), SOY CHUNK, STAR ANISE, CLOVE, GREEN CARDAMOM, NUTMEG, DRY GINGER, MALIC ACID (E296)
Where do All Purpose Indian Masalas come from?Garam Masala
- Garam Masala is used across all of India and the ingredients will differ based on the region in India. However, the spice blend originated from North India.
- Kitchen King Masala originated in North India and is used in many North Indian dishes.
- Delhi Kadhai Masala originated from Delhi, the capital of India.
- Curry Powder originated from Britain.
- Hot Madras Curry was named after the city of Madras (Current Day Chennai), which is located in South India.
- Magic Masala is a custom blend of spices created by ALCO Foods.
How are ALCO Masalas processed?
ALCO Masalas are manufactured by ALCO Foods in Raipur, India. Before ALCO could start manufacturing their own line of masalas, there was much research that went into creating the perfect blend of spices. The chemists at ALCO Foods were tasked with creating masalas that would allow anyone to recreate their favorite Indian dishes from anywhere in the world. After creating a full lineup of masalas, ALCO Foods then needed to find farmers to source their raw ingredients. It was very important to find farmers that they could trust to provide them with consistent and quality ingredients all year round. When the raw ingredients arrive at the warehouse, they are first sanitized. The raw ingredients then go through a cleaning machine, which removes any impurities. After the cleaning process, the raw ingredients are then inspected by hand before they are roasted. A machine is used to roast the spices, which greatly enhances the flavor and aroma. After roasting, the spices are then ready to be grinded down. A machine and sieves are then used to grind the spices down into a fine powder. The sieves are used to extract the non grounded parts from the fine powder. After the spices have been grinded down into a fine powder, they are then packaged and ready to be enjoyed.
What do All Purpose Indian Masalas taste like?Garam Masala
- Adds a complex and unique warm, sweet and spicy flavor to curries, lentils, soups and more.
- Adds a strong spicy flavor that goes well with several North Indian dishes.
- Adds a range of flavors which include the citrus flavor of the Coriander Seeds, earthy and bitter flavor of the Cumin Seeds and warm hot flavor of the Red Chili.
- Adds a savory earthy flavor with hints of sweetness that can be used to make a variety of different dishes Indian Esque tasting.
- Adds a strong warm, rich and citrus flavor with a kick of heat to a variety of different Indian dishes.
- Magic Masala is a flavorful savory spice blend that elevates the flavor of any dish.
What dietary and health benefits do ALCO Masalas provide?
Dietary Benefits of ALCO Masalas:
- Gluten Free
- Paleo Friendly
- KETO Friendly
ALCO Masalas contain a vast amount of different spices, which have several potential health benefits. Some of the key ingredients that are contained in most of the ALCO Masalas are:
Chili PowderChili Powder contains the bioactive compound capsaicin, which has a variety of potential health benefits. When consumed regularly, chili powder is believed to numb your pain receptors over time and help reduce heartburn pain caused by acid reflux. Chili Powder paired with a healthy lifestyle may also aid in weight loss by increasing the rate your body burns fat. Chili Powder also contains many essential minerals and vitamins, which include:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin K1
TurmericTurmeric has recently become a very popular supplement for its medicinal benefits. Turmeric contains a very powerful antioxidant called curcumin, which gives the turmeric its bright yellow color. Curcumin is not easily absorbed into your blood, but if you consume the curcumin with black pepper it will greatly increase the absorption into your bloodstream and help you reap its benefits. Turmeric has a wide range of potential health benefits which include:
- Short term inflammation is needed to help our bodies heal themselves, but long term or chronic inflammation can lead to an increased risk of developing diseases. Curcumin does an excellent job of blocking inflammatory molecules, which lowers our risk of developing diseases such as cancer. Turmeric is also commonly used to help relieve pain caused by arthritis.
- Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant that protects our cells against free radicals. Free radicals are chemically active molecules that enter our body when we are exposed to tobacco or certain processed foods. Free radicals and high levels of cholesterol and triglycerides are large contributors to cardiovascular disease.
- There have been studies that show turmeric can help reduce the spread of cancer by killing a large variety of different cancer cells. Turmeric has also been shown to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy.
- Curcumin has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and protect us from Alzheimer’s, depression and mood disorders. Turmeric helps reduce the inflammation and protein plaque build up in the brain.
CuminAiding in Digestion
- Medically, cumin has been most commonly used to aid with digestion. Cumin can increase the activity of digestive proteins and release bile from the liver, resulting in better digestion. Cumin may also help with IBS symptoms.
- Iron is used to carry oxygen in the hemoglobin of red blood cells, which allows the cells to create energy. Iron deficiency can lead to fatigue, weakness, dizziness and headache.
- Cumin contains a variety of compounds that function as antioxidants. Antioxidants are said to reduce cell damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals can attack your cells when food is processed or if you are exposed to smoke or radiation. If the free radicals become too high, it can cause heart disease, diabetes, cancer and more.
- Cumin has antimicrobial properties, which can reduce your risk of contracting food borne illness. At one point, cumin was actually used for the purpose of increasing food safety.
CorianderLowering Blood Pressure
- Coriander is said to lower blood vessel tension by promoting the interaction of calcium ions and acetylcholine. Therefore, Coriander could lower your risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- Coriander oil has actually been patented for its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Coriander could help with a variety of skin conditions ranging from dryness, fungal infections and eczema.
- Coriander contains borneol and linalool, which help our liver and bowels function properly. Coriander also contains a variety of compounds that have antibacterial properties, which can help us treat diarrhea and food borne illness such as salmonella.
- Coriander can help reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol levels because it contains a variety of compounds that are good for your cholesterol health.
- Coriander is an excellent source of calcium, which is a very important mineral in bone growth and durability.
Kills Bacteria and Fungi
- The oil extracted from Cardamom seeds may be effective in killing bacteria and fungi. Studies have shown that the oil from the cardamom seeds kills bacteria and fungi by damaging their cell membrane.
- Cardamom can also aid those with metabolic syndrome, which leads to heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Metabolic syndrome includes health conditions such as obesity, high cholesterol and high blood sugar. A study was conducted on women with metabolic syndrome. The study found that those who consumed the green cardamom had lower levels of inflammatory proteins, C-reactive protein and other markers compared to the placebo group.
- Antioxidants are said to reduce cell damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals can attack your cells when food is processed or if you are exposed to smoke or radiation. If the free radicals become too high, it can cause heart disease, diabetes, cancer and more.
- Cardamom has been used for hundreds of years as a mouth freshener. It can also be used to lower your risk of cavities and gum disease by killing the bacteria in your mouth.
How to use All Purpose Indian Masalas?Garam Masala
- Garam Masala is an excellent all purpose seasoning that is extremely popular in all Indian cooking and can bring amazing complex flavors to any dish. Garam Masala is used in Butter Chicken, Chicken Biryani, Vegetarian Matar Paneer, Palak Paneer Curry, Tandoori Chicken and many more.
- Kitchen King Masala is a versatile spice that can be used in a variety of different Indian curries and sabjis, especially Punjabi dishes. It can also be used in biryani or vegetable pulao.
- Marinate your chicken, beef, mutton or lamb in ginger paste, garlic paste and the Delhi Kadhai Masala
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add chopped tomato to the pan and cook until soft
- Add the marinated chicken, beef, mutton or lamb to the pan
- Cook until chicken, beef, mutton or lamb is tender
- Add green chillies
- Curry Masala acts as an excellent all purpose seasoning that enhances the flavor of chicken, vegetables, soups, stews, sauces and marinades.
- Hot Madras Curry is a versatile spice blend that can be used for chutney, curry, vegetables, chicken, lamb, rice and gravy.
- Cook Noodles
- Mix Magic Masala with the cooked noodles
What makes ALCO Foods' masalas unique?PREMIUM QUALITY AND TASTE
- We are very diligent in our efforts to procure the highest quality spices in the world. The aroma and bold flavors of our spices will make you fall in love with experimenting and trying new flavors in the kitchen.
- We do not add any artificial flavors, so all of the spices are 100% natural and ethically sourced directly from the Earth. We believe you should never have to use artificial flavors when the Earth provides so many great tasting natural flavors for us. There are also no added preservatives. We are committed to serving you food products that you can feel safe consuming. We believe that you should always know what you are eating, which is why we do not use any strange chemicals created in a lab to help extend the shelf life of our products.
- We are committed to strengthening our community, which is why all of our spices are ethically sourced and purchased from farmers in India.