What do we cover?
What are chili powders?
When you think of Indian cuisine, the first thing that probably comes to mind is spicy. The added spice in Indian dishes comes from chili powder. Chili Powder or Mirch is made from grounded chili chilies. Unlike Tex-Mex Chili Powder, Red Chili Powder from India contains 100% red chilies instead of a blend of spices. India produces ten different varieties of chilies and is home to one of the most well known chilies, the infamous ghost pepper. The ghost pepper is grown in North East India and became popular in 2007 when it was recorded as the hottest chili pepper in the world. ALCO Foods has three different varieties of chili powder, which include:
- Kashmiri Chili Powder comes from ground up Kashmiri Chillies, which are native to Kashmir. They are highly regarded for their color and flavor instead of their heat. The quality of the Kashmiri Chili Powder is based on the vibrancy of its red color and its smoky and sweet flavor.
- Our Red Chili Powder is 100% pure, which means it only contains grounded Red Chilies. American Tex-Mex Chili Powder typically contains one part Red Chili to seven parts other spices. It is important not to get the two confused or you might end up making your food a lot spicier than you would've liked. Red Chili Powder is very popular in Indian cuisine and is commonly used to add heat to curries.
- Looking for something hotter than our Red Chili Powder? Our Red Hot Chili Powder is a blend of some of the hottest chillies India has to offer. For those who love spice, our Red Hot Chili Powder will take your food's spiciness to another level.
What are the ingredients in chili powders?
As mentioned above, ALCO Chili Powders are made from 100% grounded chilies sourced from India.
Where do chili powders come from?KASHMIRI CHILI POWDER
- Kashmiri Chili Powder is made from Kashmiri Chilies, which are sourced from Kashmir, the northernmost region of India. The chilies are grown in the Kashmir Valley which is an area between the Himalayas and Pir Panjal Range in the southern part of Kashmir. The southern part of Kashmir provides very fertile soil making for excellent chili growing conditions. The Kashmiri Chili is in very high demand throughout all of India. Several have tried growing the Kashmiri Chilies in other areas of India, but have been unable to replicate its hue and flavor. Kashmir is also home to some other very desirable spices such as shahi jeera and saffron. Beyond spices, the Kashmir region also grows a variety of fresh and dry fruits.
- ALCO Red Chili Powder and Red Hot Chili Powder is sourced from Guntur, Andhra Pradesh. Andhra Pradesh produces the most amount of chilies in India and their most popular chili is the Guntur Sannam. The Guntur Sannam contains a large amount of capsaicin, which gives the chilies their dark red color and strong heat. The Guntur Sannam is a fan favorite in many Indian dishes.
How are chili powders processed?Step 1: Dry Cleaning Machine
- Cleans the unwanted materials off of the chili peppers
- Separates the seeds and skin of the chili pepper
- Removes the remaining moisture from the chilies
- The chili will first be broken down by a rotary hammer to create a coarse powder. The broken down chilies will then be sifted and grinded continuously until a fine powder is formed.
- After the chilies have been turned into a fine red chili powder, the red chili powder is then placed into a packaging machine where it evenly disperses the chili powder into its packaging. After the red chili powder is placed in the packaging, the packaging is then sealed and ready to be sold.
What do chili powders taste like?KASHMIRI CHILI POWDER
- Kashmiri Chili powder has a smoky and sweet flavor with very little heat or spiciness.
- Red Chili Powder has a warm spicy flavor.
- Red Hot Chili Powder has a warm and very spicy flavor.
What dietary and health benefits do chili powders provide?
Dietary Benefits of Chili Powder:
- Gluten Free
- Paleo Friendly
- KETO Friendly
Chili Powder contains the bioactive compound capsaicin, which has a variety of potential health benefits. When consumed regularly, chili powder is believed to numb your pain receptors over time and help reduce heartburn pain caused by acid reflux. Chili Powder paired with a healthy lifestyle may also aid in weight loss by increasing the rate your body burns fat. Chili Powder also contains many essential minerals and vitamins, which include:Vitamin A
- Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin that is found in many fruits and meats. Vitamin A is critical for your vision and is an essential part of rhodopsin, which is a protein that absorbs light. Vitamin A also helps with cell growth and differentiation, which helps you maintain a healthy heart, lungs and many other organs.
- An antioxidant that helps your cells fight against free radicals and lower your risk of disease. Vitamin C is also a very important nutrient needed to form blood vessels, cartilage, muscle and collagen in bones.
- Vitamin B6 plays an important role in your brain’s development as well as maintaining a healthy immune and nervous system.
- Vitamin K is broken down into two different forms called Vitamin K1 and Vitamin K2. Vitamin K1 is commonly found in leafy green vegetables. Vitamin K1 supports blood clotting, bone health and heart health by helping activate proteins.
- Copper is necessary for survival. Copper with Iron is used to produce red blood cells. Copper also helps maintain healthy bones, blood vessels, nerves and immune function.
- Potassium plays an important role in nerve function, muscle contraction, maintaining a healthy heart rate and offsetting the harmful effects of sodium on blood pressure.
How to use chili powders?KASHMIRI CHILI POWDER
- Kashmiri Chili Powder is an essential spice in many Indian curries and tandoori chicken. Kashmiri Chili Powder plays an excellent role in tomato based sauces especially when paired with Star Anise. Kashmiri Chili Powder can be used to add a bit of sweetness, mild heat and that beautiful red hue to any food that will absorb the color such as fats, oils and rice.
- Red Chili Powder is very popular in Indian cuisine. Red Chili Powder is used to add spice and heat to a whole bunch of Indian dishes ranging from curries, sauces, chutneys, pastes and pickles.
- Red Hot Chili Powder is extremely spicy and should be used in very small amounts. Red Hot Chili Powder is very popular in Indian cuisine and is used in a variety of different dishes such as saag paneer, coconut curry, chutney, roasted vegetables and many more. If you use too much Red Hot Chili Powder, remember that you can counter the spiciness with dairy products such as milk and yogurt.
What makes ALCO spices unique?PREMIUM QUALITY AND TASTE
- We are very diligent in our efforts to procure the highest quality spices in the world. The aroma and bold flavors of our spices will make you fall in love with experimenting and trying new flavors in the kitchen.
- We do not add any artificial flavors, so all of the spices are 100% natural and ethically sourced directly from the Earth. We believe you should never have to use artificial flavors when the Earth provides so many great tasting natural flavors for us. There are also no added preservatives. We are committed to serving you food products that you can feel safe consuming. We believe that you should always know what you are eating, which is why we do not use any strange chemicals created in a lab to help extend the shelf life of our products.
- We are committed to strengthening our community, which is why all of our spices are ethically sourced and purchased from farmers in India.