What do we cover?
What is Cumin Powder?
Cumin Powder is made from ground up Cumin Seeds, which come from the plant cuminum cyminum. Surprisingly, the Cumin Seeds are actually the dried up fruit of the plant. The cuminum cyminum plant is native to Asia and the Middle East. Cumin Powder is a very popular spice that is used across several different ethnic cuisines. You are probably most aware of Cumin Powder’s use in Chili or Taco Seasoning, but it was also very popular for its medicinal purposes in the ancient times of Greece and Egypt. In Egypt cumin was also believed to help preserve the bodies of mummies.
What are the ingredients in Cumin Powder?
ALCO Cumin Powder is made from grounded 100% pure Cumin Seeds.
Where does Cumin Powder come from?
ALCO Foods sources all of their Cumin Seeds entirely from India. Cumin is native to Egypt, but India has become the largest producer of Cumin in the world. India accounts for 70% of the world’s cumin production and most of the production in India comes from Guharat and Rajasthan. Cumin is grown across the world because of its durability and ability to adapt to warm and cool climates. Cumin is an annual plant that is ready to harvest when the flowers become dry and brittle seeds.
How is Cumin Powder processed?
When the cumin seeds are ready to be harvested, the entire plant is removed from the ground. After the cumin plants have been removed from the ground, they are then laid out in the sun to dry. Once the plants have dried, the cumin seeds are then extracted from the plant by threshing the plants. After the seeds have been extracted, they must be dried in the sun until their moisture content reaches 10%. The dried seeds are then winnowed, which removes the dirt, dust and other impurities from the cumin seeds. The cumin seeds are then roasted to bring out their full flavor and aroma. After they are roasted, machines are used to grind the cumin seeds into a powder and sieves are used to extract the impurities from the cumin powder. The Cumin Powder is then packaged and ready to be sold.
What does Cumin Powder taste like?
Cumin powder has a very strong and intense taste, so you will only need a small amount to go a long way. Cumin Powder is known for its warm, earthy and bittersweet flavor.
What dietary and health benefits does Cumin Powder provide?
Dietary Benefits of Cumin Powder:
- Gluten Free
- Paleo Friendly
- KETO Friendly
Cumin Powder was very popular for its medicinal purposes in ancient Greece and Egypt. Cumin has a variety of potential health benefits, which include:Aiding in Digestion
- Medically, cumin has been most commonly used to aid with digestion. Cumin can increase the activity of digestive proteins and release bile from the liver, resulting in better digestion. Cumin may also help with IBS symptoms.
- Iron is used to carry oxygen in the hemoglobin of red blood cells, which allows the cells to create energy. Iron deficiency can lead to fatigue, weakness, dizziness and headache.
- Cumin contains a variety of compounds that function as antioxidants. Antioxidants are said to reduce cell damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals can attack your cells when food is processed or if you are exposed to smoke or radiation. If the free radicals become too high, it can cause heart disease, diabetes, cancer and more.
- Cumin has antimicrobial properties, which can reduce your risk of contracting food borne illness. At one point, cumin was actually used for the purpose of increasing food safety.
How to use Cumin Powder?
Cumin Powder is an essential spice in many Indian dishes. It is commonly used in curries, marinades, soups and other spice blends. Cumin Powder can be used for both meat and vegetable dishes. Cumin powder pairs very well with Turmeric, Thyme, Cinnamon, Red Pepper and Oregano.
What makes ALCO spices unique?PREMIUM QUALITY AND TASTE
- We are very diligent in our efforts to procure the highest quality spices in the world. The aroma and bold flavors of our spices will make you fall in love with experimenting and trying new flavors in the kitchen.
- We do not add any artificial flavors, so all of the spices are 100% natural and ethically sourced directly from the Earth. We believe you should never have to use artificial flavors when the Earth provides so many great tasting natural flavors for us. There are also no added preservatives. We are committed to serving you food products that you can feel safe consuming. We believe that you should always know what you are eating, which is why we do not use any strange chemicals created in a lab to help extend the shelf life of our products.
- We are committed to strengthening our community, which is why all of our spices are ethically sourced and purchased from farmers in India.