VEGETABLE BIRYANI: A SUBSTITUTE OF CHICKEN BIRYANI FOR VEGETARIANS!Very little is spoken about Vegetable Biryani, as much public attention goes to the default non-vegetarian ones. In this article, you'll learn how vegetable biryani has been derived and fine-tuned continuously from the original mutton/chicken biryani.
Recipe for Vegetable Biryani
- Prep Time - 20 minutes
- Cook Time - 30 minutes
- 5 cups - Water
- 1 cup - Rice
- 1 medium sized - Onion
- Green Peas 1 cup - Green Peas
- 1 cup - Carrot
- 1 cup - Potato
- 75g - Cauliflower (Florets)
- 100g - Curd
- 3 tbsp - Oil
- 1/4 cup - Coriander Leaves
- 1/4 cup - Mint Leaves
- 50g - Veg Biryani Masala
- Wash the rice thoroughly. Soak it for 15 min and then drain.
- Now, boil some water, add 1 tbsp oil, and cook the rice till it becomes thoroughly cooked.
- Take some curd & a whole packet of Veg Biryani Masala (50g). Keep mixing it till it becomes a soft paste.
- Now, in a large frying pan, heat the remaining oil. Add onions and sauté them until they turn golden brown. Add the curd and biryani mix paste, chopped vegetables & water into this, and cook for 20-25 min.
- Place the vegetables in a heavy-bottomed casserole/pan and add the rice, sprinkle coriander, min, and cook on low heat for around 9 to 10 minutes.
- Mix some curd with Alcoeats Pudina Chutney in a bowl to prepare the Raita.
- Garnish the veg biriyani with fried onions and serve hot with cold mint Raita.
Wrapping it up…
By now, it's pretty apparent that, more often than not, vegetable biryani is looked down upon with disdain, as most people claim that there's nothing called "Veg Biryani", and actual, authentic Biryani should have meat in it.
While it can't be concluded as to how accurate that claim is, we need to be aware that a delicious Vegetable Biryani is very much possible, which is very different from a veg pulao.
Pulao can be considered a short-cut one-pot meal made as a quick dinner item.
On the other hand, Biryani takes time and is usually prepared for special occasions. It's a multi-step process, takes time, and is something people would only make for a weekday dinner.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The addition of vegetables like cauliflower makes vegetable biryani so healthy. It has less fat than meat-based biryanis, and the primary fats come from the oil in the casserole dish. Also, meat is a rich source of saturated fats.
Get 30% OFF - SUBSCRIBE TODAY
Subscribe to our Recipe Newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.