MAKE BEEF EMPANADAS AT HOME
This is the best empanada recipe you can quickly and easily try at home. This is also a very easy empanada recipe for all those who would like to make beef empanadas at home.
- Empanadas: 15
- Prep time: 20 mins
- Total time: 2 hrs.
For the dough
- 3 cups - All-purpose flour (more for the surface)
- 1 tsp. - Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. - Baking powder
- ½ cups - Cold butter, cut into cubes
- ¾ cups - Water
- 1 - Large egg
For the beef filling
- 1 tbsp. - Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 - Chopped yellow onion
- 2 - Cloves minced garlic
- 1 lb. - Ground beef
- 1 tbsp. - Tomato paste
- 1 tsp. - Oregano
- 1 tsp. - Alcoeats Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp. - Paprika
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cups - Chopped tomatoes
- ½ cups - Chopped and pickled jalapeños
- 1-¼ cups - Shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1-¼ cups - Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Egg wash, for brushing
- Freshly chopped cilantro (for garnishing)
- Sour cream (while serving)
For making the dough
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt thoroughly in a large bowl. Cut the butter into the flour using your hands or a pastry cutter until they’re pea-sized pieces. Add water and egg and mix well till you form a dough. Spread the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead it until it gets smooth (about 5 minutes).
- Wrap the kneaded dough in plastic wrap. Move it into the fridge and let it refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it turns soft, or for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, or just a minute more.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking the meat chunks up with a wooden spoon, until the meat is no longer pink (or about 5 minutes). Drain the excess fat.
- Return the pan to medium heat, and stir the tomato paste into the beef.
- Add the cumin, oregano, and paprika, and season with pepper and salt.
- Add the jalapeños and tomatoes and cook till it gets completely cooked through, or about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Let it cool off a bit.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide it into half. Roll one half out to ¼-inch thick. Take a round cookie cutter and cut rounds out from the dough. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Lightly moisten the outer edge of the rounded dough with water and place around 2 tablespoons of the beef filling in the center and top it off with cheddar and Monterey.
- Fold the dough in half across the filling. Crimp its edges together. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Place your empanadas on the prepared baking sheets and brush them with the egg wash. Bake empanadas till they turn golden, and the filling is warmed through (about 25 minutes).
- Garnish delicious empanadas with cilantro and serve with sour cream.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.