EXTRA CRISPY FRIED CHICKENCrispy Fried Chicken is one of the most popular dishes in the world. It is made by marinating chicken in a mixture of spices and then deep frying it.
How to make the best extra crispy fried chicken
So, this is how you go about making super crispy fried chicken made from buttermilk, chicken, hot sauce, and seasoned flour that is delightfully crispy on the outside yet tender on the inside!
- Yield - 8 servings
- Prep Time - 40 minutes
- Cook Time - 15 minutes
- Total Time - 55 minutes
- Course - Dinner
- Cuisine - American
- 4 pounds - Chicken (cut into 8 pieces with no backbone)
- 2 cups - Buttermilk
- 1 tbsp - Kosher salt
- 2 tsp - Coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp - Hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups - Flour
- 1 tsp - Paprika
- Canola oil, for frying
- Mix the chicken pieces, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and buttermilk in a large bowl and refrigerate this mixture for at least four hours.
- Mix paprika with the flour in a medium bowl with a baking sheet set up next to it.
- Now, remove the chicken from the buttermilk, then dunk each chicken piece into the flour, coating it well, then place onto the baking sheet and let sit for at least 30 minutes (the flour should become paste-like).
- Heat a large oven ½ full with canola oil to 365˚F and fry the coated chicken pieces in batches (don’t stuff the oven) of 4 pieces, cooking for 10-12 minutes till the chicken is well cooked.
Tips for cooking fantastic extra crispy fried chicken
- You can buy a whole chicken and cut it into pieces, or you can just take the drumsticks and thighs, based on your preference.
- Try to make your seasoned flour mixture ahead of time and store it in an airtight container anytime you want to make this recipe!
- Use a thermometer to measure your oil temperature precisely. Doing this will take a lot of the guesswork out of the process!
- Although this recipe is delicious with the skin on, you can also make it with boneless skinless chicken.
FAQs on Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe
How do restaurants get their chicken so crispy?
Eating fried chicken right out of the fryer isn't good. You should ideally “hold” the chicken in an oven set to 175 degrees for about 20 minutes. This allows the chicken to finish cooking while keeping it warm and crunchy.
How do you keep fried chicken crispy?
Keep your chicken pieces on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet. And if frying multiple batches, place the cooling rack in a low oven to keep everything warm as you keep frying and adding them to the rack.
Why is my fried chicken soggy?
Using too much flour for fried chicken will give you a soggy crust, so dredge the chicken once and keep your flour coating light. Put the seasoned flour in a plastic zip-top bag, add the chicken in batches (don't stuff the bag), and seal it. Shake well to coat the chicken evenly. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
What is the best oil for frying chicken?
Canola oil is the best for frying chicken because it has a higher smoke point, which means it can take in more heat before it starts to burn. You can also use peanut oil, coconut oil, or lard to make fried chicken.
Does frying chicken twice make it crispier?
Double-frying chicken helps with the evaporation process. By letting the chicken rest and cool between hot dips in the oil, additional water evaporates from the skin. And when you put it back in to finish frying, the rest of the water evaporates, allowing the skin to get brown and crisp quickly before the meat overcooks.
Does cornstarch make things crispy?
Yes, because cornstarch contains 25 to 28 percent amylose, which is much higher than the amount in wheat or potato starch, and that’s why cornstarch works best for making crispy coatings on deep-fried foods, including crispy air fryer wings.
Get 30% OFF - SUBSCRIBE TODAY
Subscribe to our Recipe Newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.