Favorite Cinnamon Bread PuddingA really easy cinnamon bread pudding recipe with rum custard sauce is the perfect make-ahead dessert for a crowd.
Total Time: 55 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 tsp- Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp- Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp- Butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp- Nuts (chopped)
- 7-8 slices- White Bread
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 cup- Milk
- 1 tbsp-Vanilla Extract
- 5 - 6 tsp- Brown Sugar + Extra for sprinkling
- Salt- As needed
- 1/4 cup- Sugar
- 1/2 tsp- Vanilla Extract
- Salt- one pinch
- 1 1/2 tbsp.- Dark Rum
- 3/4 cup- Milk
For Bread Pudding:
- Preheat oven to 180C. Then brush a round or rectangle baking dish with melted butter
- Then in a bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, nutmeg powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon powder, sugar, salt, and the remaining butter till properly combined
- Then lightly soak each slice of bread for about 5 seconds in this mixture, turning it to soak both ways, and arrange it on the baking dish as shown in the video. Then pour any extra egg mixture all over the bread. Now let this soak for 20 minutes
- Now when ready to bake, sprinkle with chopped nuts and some more sugar. Then bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 35-40 mins.
- Then once baked, remove it from the oven, and let the pudding cool. Once cool, cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least an hour or two. Serve cold with some rum custard sauce.
For Rum Custard Sauce:
- Firstly, in a pan, slowly bring the milk to a simmer. Then turn off the heat.
- Then in a large bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, vanilla, and salt till light and fluffy. Then add hot milk in a slow stream to the egg mixture while whisking vigorously so that the egg doesn’t scramble.
- Now, this method is called tempering and ensures that the egg is cooked without scrambling. So it’s important to add milk slowly so that the egg doesn’t cook too quickly.
- Then strain the mixture into another pan if required. Now put this pan on a slow flame and keep stirring till the mixture starts to thicken up. then as soon as the mixture starts coating the back of a spoon, take it off the heat and transfer it to another bowl.
- Then again it's important to warm up the egg mixture slowly and keep stirring so that it doesn't curdle. Then stir in the rum at this point.
- Now let the custard cool down to room temperature, after which it can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Then serve with cold cinnamon bread pudding.
FOR MORE RECIPES:
LET'S GET COOKIN'!
Subscribe to our Recipe Newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!
STAY ALCOEATS HEALTHY: SUBSCRIBE TODAY
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.