SPICY MASHED POTATO RECIPEThis Spicy Mashed Potato recipe is amazing, very unique, and delicious which stands out from all ordinary mashed potatoes recipes. Must try to make this on your occasions.
- Prep Time - 15 Minutes
- Cook Time - 15 Minutes
- Serving - 4-6 as a side-dish
How to make Spicy Mashed Potatoes
Just like classic mashed potatoes, the spicy mashed potatoes recipe also begins with cooking the potatoes in salted boiling water. But before you start cooking, peel the potatoes, and cut them into large chunks. This speeds up the cooking process and reduces cooking time.
Now, boil water in a large pot, season it with salt, and add the potatoes. Let it cook until the potatoes turn tender. The potatoes need to be cooked well so that they can be easily mashed into a smooth paste.
Once the potatoes become tender, drain the excess water. Start mashing the potatoes. You can use a potato masher to do this. This process is done in two steps –
- First, roughly mash the potatoes.
- Add all the spices to add to mashed potatoes, and mash them all again. Make sure they are mixed thoroughly after mashing.
For the Spicy Mash
- 1 kg - Potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup - Onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup - Chopped cilantro (coriander)
- ⅓ rd - Cup milk
- 3 tbsp. - Butter
- 1 - Ounce cream cheese
- 1 tbsp - Grated ginger
- 2 tbsp - Salt
- 2 tbsp - Alcoeats Curry Masala Powder
- ½ tbsp - Alcoeats Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tbsp - Alcoeats Red Hot Chili Powder
- Pinch of Chili Flakes
Method of preparation
- Boil potatoes for around 20 minutes, or until you can pierce through them easily with a fork.
- Mash the potatoes, adding the milk, cream cheese, ginger, and salt, and mix them thoroughly.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, until it starts to froth.
- Add the Alcoeats curry powder, Alcoeats turmeric powder, Alcoeats chili powder, and chili flakes. Cook these spices in the butter for a minute or so, toasting them until they are fragrant. Take care not to burn them.
- Add this spice mix to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Stir in the onions and cilantro (coriander).
- Serve warm as a side to your main dishes.
FAQs on Spicy Mashed Potato Recipe
What are the spices to put in mashed potatoes?
Seasoning salt, cayenne pepper, Alcoeats curry powder, Alcoeats red chili powder, Alcoeats turmeric powder, fresh chives, and smoked paprika are just some of the spices and seasonings recommended to spice up mashed potatoes.
Why do my mashed potatoes have no flavor?
Because you’re probably cutting the potatoes too small! Also, water-logged potato pieces result in watery and bland mashed potatoes, and no one wants that! So, ensure that your chunks are at least 1-½ inches wide when cutting your potatoes before cooking them.
What are the biggest mistakes when making spicy mashed potatoes?
- You do not wash your potatoes first
- You only use a single type of potato
- You do not season the water
- You add potato chunks to boiling water
- You use the wrong device to mash your potatoes
- You only use butter
- You make potatoes too fast!
Why Soak potatoes before cooking mashed potatoes?
Soaking the baked potatoes for just a few minutes in cold water releases some of their starch so that the cooked potatoes do not get gelled and gluey.
Why do you add salt to water for mashed potatoes?
Because salting the water not only seasons the potatoes, but also allows them to boil to a hotter temperature. This, in turn, cooks the potatoes’ starch more thoroughly, resulting in a more creamy texture for your mashed potatoes.
Get 30% OFF - SUBSCRIBE TODAY
Subscribe to our Recipe Newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.