VEGETABLE SEASONING (SABJI) OVER OVEN ROASTED VEGETABLESAlthough roasting or baking vegetables brings out their natural sweetness, roasted vegetables seasoned with spices add flavor to your meal. Go from bland to mouthwatering veggies by adding this simple roasted vegetable seasoning to any vegetable!
- Prep Time - 5 minutes
- Total Time - 5 minutes
- ¼ cup - Granulated onion (or powder)
- ¼ cup - Granulated garlic (or powder)
- ¼ cup - Dried parsley
- ¼ cup - Paprika (sweet, smoked, or spicy)
- Combine onion, garlic, parsley, and paprika in a small bowl.
- Mix to combine.
- Store in an air-tight jar in the pantry for up to 6 months.
Sprinkle 2 to 3 teaspoons of this roasted vegetable seasoning per 4 cups of chopped vegetables (should be around an entire sheet pan).
- Use smoked paprika for a smoky flavor in your seasoning.
- Use sweet or Spanish paprika for all-purpose seasoning.
- For added spice, use hot/spicy paprika.
- Want more salt? Add 2-3 tablespoons to the bowl. Mix with the other seasonings, and transfer to the jar.
Preparing your vegetables for roasting
Before seasoning, you'll need to wash, dry, and prepare your vegetables. They should be ready to take on the spices you'll be adding. Preparing vegetables for roasting is easy. You need to ensure your veggies are washed well and dry before preparing. Some vegetables may need peeling, while others can be roasted with the skin on. For instance:
- Oven Roasted Carrots (peeled)
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash (skin on)
- Oven Roasted Beets (either peeled or skin-on)
How to make seasoned roasted vegetables
Spiced roasted vegetables are the perfect side dish for any meal. Here is how to do it:
- Preheat your oven to 400˚F (many ovens have a "roast" setting; use the bake setting if there's no "roast" setting).
- Wash and dry the vegetables.
- Prepare them – slice, chop, or dice the vegetables to the desired size.
- Place the prepared vegetables on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top.
- Sprinkle the seasoning we made previously over the vegetables.
- Toss (with hands/tongs) to evenly distribute the olive oil and seasoning over all vegetable chunks.
- Roast vegetables according to the recipe's specifications. A ½-inch thick vegetable will need approximately 35 minutes.
Tips for perfectly roasted vegetables
With minimum effort, you can have a delicious and nutritious meal. But there are some tips for perfectly roasted vegetables:
- Oven rack placement - Ensure you position the top rack in the middle of the oven. If you slot it higher, your vegetables may burn. Place the second directly below the first if you're roasting multiple racks. Swap the racks halfway through roasting (about 20 minutes after starting the roast).
- Even size - Chopping, slicing, or dicing your vegetables into an even size will ensure they are all cooked evenly.
- Follow a recipe - If you have a recipe, following it is always a great idea. If not, check your rack/pan once the veggies have begun to change color and texture (approximately after 25 to 30 minutes). This way, you know how long it takes to cook your meal.
Less is more - When it comes to seasoning, remember that you can always add but can't remove. Ensure you're not over-seasoning your vegetables – especially with salt – so you can taste your veggies, and not just the seasoning.
Serving Size: 2 teaspoons | Calories: 6 | Sugar: 0.1g | Sodium: 1.5mg | Fat: 0.1g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Carbohydrates: 1.4g | Fiber: 0.4g | Protein: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 0mg
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
• Toss with citrus.
• Add some cheese.
• Toss with mustard.
• Add a glaze.
• Roast with bacon.
• Drizzle with dressings.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.